Site Meter

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Inverse Translation





















The following is an inverse translation. It translates and inverts as it goes. Take a look at the French down below and see for yourself what a travesty it is.

The Slip
after Baudelaire

Far from the blaring street in full cry round me,
here where I glimpsed her first and thought ‘Not bad’,
the woman dressed in black who shares my bed
chases from the door the wolves that hound me,

just by being there, day after blissful day.
But what if the thrill I need is not the storm
of all her love-bites’ cheeky brand of harm,
but one that worse than hurts – that fades away?

Thunderbolt that struck me down where I stood
and called me flaming back to life, how long
before the routine of it drags our heaven

down to same old ditch where I belong,
and you’re left cursing, wishing how you’d given
that stranger in the street the slip while you could?


À une passante

La rue assourdissante autour de moi hurlait.
Longue, mince, en grand deuil, douleur majestueuse,
Une femme passa, d'une main fastueuse
Soulevant, balançant le feston et l'ourlet;

Agile et noble, avec sa jambe de statue.
Moi, je buvais, crispé comme un extravagant,
Dans son oeil, ciel livide où germe l'ouragan,
La douceur qui fascine et le plaisir qui tue.

Un éclair... puis la nuit! — Fugitive beauté
Dont le regard m'a fait soudainement renaître,
Ne te verrai-je plus que dans l'éternité?

Ailleurs, bien loin d'ici! trop tard! jamais peut-être!
Car j'ignore où tu fuis, tu ne sais où je vais,
Ô toi que j'eusse aimée, ô toi qui le savais!

No comments: