Site Meter

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hessle Road

You can give a man a better new camera but say what you like, the world will always need bad photographs. The Wassand Arms here used to boast a dancing parrot, but no more. There is a parrot in The Ship in Sewerby, but does anyone know of any remaining resident parrots in Hull pubs? I wanted to get pictures too of The Stricky Arms and Rayner’s, redoubtable old watering holes of ill repute, but there were people standing in the door and I didn’t like to disturb them. The pub with the beautiful old Anchor Brewery sign (Anchor Brewery of steam beer fame, presumably?) is The Dairycotes Inn. The Criterion was of coursed named after the literary journal. Geoffrey Hill’s early/late Eliot pitch/tone debate is a very popular theme there, I discover. In fact they speak of little else. Click for big.







1 comment:

Gwil W said...

We've been badgering GS about his new football book, but that's not why I'm here. I have a salamander Q.
There are fire salamanders in the woods near me. I expect I'll meet a few tomorrow. It's too hot today and a big storm is on the cards for tonight. Conditions for the salamanders tomorrow could be ideal. If I see them I'll do a poem. Last year on one of my walks I saw 23. They were on average 20 mtrs apart and all facing uphill. Why would that be do you think?
best,
gwilym